Archive and Study Center of DFF
DFF Fassbinder Center, Frankfurt
Special Collections and Bequests
The aim of the DFF’s collection activities is to preserve bequests and film-related materials for science and future generations as evidence of cultural history. In addition, our collections form an essential basis for the conception and presentation of special exhibitions. We continously expand our holdings by means of acquisitions focused on specific areas, thanks to donations from private individuals and companies, as well as through purchases, permanent loans and deposits.
Most recently, with the support of the City of Frankfurt, the Hessische Kulturstiftung and the Kulturstiftung der Länder, the DFF took over the text and photo archive of Rainer Werner Fassbinder from the Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation. This purchase enabled the DFF to bring together its archives and special collections in a central archive and study center in the vicinity of the Frankfurt University and to make them available to the public much more conveniently than before. The new center is called DFF Fassbinder Center, Frankfurt. Students, researchers and the general public can make appointments and explore the entire DFF collection in the reading room.
The DFF archives contain important collections on various thematic aspects of film history and production. In addition to the collections and bequests listed below, the DFF also archives collections of around 100 filmmakers, including screenwriter Thea von Harbou, actors Peter Lorre and Paul Wegener, filmmaker Lotte Reiniger, costume designer Helmut Holger, directors Rudolf Thome and Peter Fleischmann and many more.
Selection of special collections held by the DFF
- Archiv X Filme – Film production company
- Artur Brauner-Archiv – Film production company
- Brothers Diehl – Puppet Animation Film
- Oskar Fischinger – Avantgarde film
- Peter Gauhe – Stills and Set Photography
- Kurt Hoffmann – German post-war film
- Otto Hunte – Set design
- Curd Jürgens – Actor
- Romuald Karmakar – Director
- Paul Kemp – Actor
- Irms Pauli – Costume design
- Maria Schell – Schauspiel
- Niklaus Schilling – Director
- Victor Vicas – Director, Cinematographer, Producer
- Luggi Waldleitner – Producer
- Robert Wiene – Author, Director, Producer